Once you have acquired the materials and tools necessary to install your fence posts, it is important to ensure that they are securely fixed in place. Post-mix concrete is a popular choice for fixing fence posts because of its ease of use and strength. Here are some steps you can take when using post-mix concrete:
1. Dig a hole for your fence post that is at least two feet deep and 12 inches wide, making sure to remove any large rocks or roots from the soil.
2. Add a layer of gravel to the bottom of the hole to ensure drainage and fill it up about halfway with water.
3. Put on protective gloves and a face mask before adding the Post-Mix concrete to the water, stirring with a trowel or shovel until it’s completely mixed.
4. Place the fence post in the hole, making sure it is level and secure.
5. Pour the remaining Post-Mix concrete around the base of the post and use a trowel or shovel to spread it evenly around the edges. We would recommend leaving the Post-Mix slightly above ground and domed away from the fence post to help with drainage.
6. We would recommend a minimum of 1.5 x 20kg bag per fence post.
7. Post-Mix is fast drying so make sure your posts are set correctly within 20 minutes or so. Leave the concrete to set for at least 4 hours before adding any stress to the fence post.
8. Is Post Mix Concrete expensive? No, Post-Mix concrete is relatively inexpensive although more expensive than mixing concrete by hand. It is much more convenient and easy to use. Any unused dry Post-Mix can be stored in their water-proof bags.
9. Is Post Mix Concrete safe to use? Yes, Post-Mix concrete is a non-hazardous and non-toxic material and can be safely used around animals, pets or children. However, it’s important to remember that it is a cementitious product so please take care when handling the material.
10. Are there any maintenance requirements for the post-mix concrete? In order to ensure that your fence posts are secure and safe, we recommend checking the integrity of your post-mix concrete installation every 6 months. This can easily be done by doing a visual inspection of the post and ensuring it is still securely embedded in the soil. Additionally, you may want to check the condition of your fence posts from time to time for any signs of corrosion, wear or damage. Prompt action should be taken to address any issues to maintain the structural integrity of your fence posts.
We also recommend that you reapply a waterproofing sealant to your post-mix concrete every few years as part of your maintenance routine. This will help protect against moisture damage and will help keep your fence posts looking great for years to come. If you find any cracks or holes in the concrete, you should take action to repair them as soon as possible to prevent further damage and deterioration. Taking these steps will ensure your fence remains strong and secure for years to come!
If you have any questions about how to maintain your fence posts or need recommendations on which sealant to use, don’t hesitate to reach out to us. We are more than happy to help!
For more tips and advice on maintaining your fence posts, please check out our other blog posts or give us a call at Challenge Fencing today. We are always here to answer any questions you may have!
Note: Post mix is a material made from cement, aggregate, and other ingredients that can be used to quickly set a fence post